Seattle Personal Injury Attorney Chris Thayer
Seattle Personal Injury Attorney Chris Thayer
Handling Personal Injury Claims in the Seattle Area and Throughout Washington Since 1995

My name is Chris Thayer and I am a personal injury attorney practicing in downtown Seattle. I handle personal injury, medical malpractice and wrongful death claims throughout the greater Seattle area, including Issaquah, Mercer Island and Kirkland.

I am here to help you.

Call for a free consultation (206) 340-2008

The Seattle Personal Injury Blog

Your Social Media Posts Affect Your Car Accident Claim

Posted Friday, September 23, 2016 by Chris Thayer

Nearly everyone has been affected by a car accident at one point or another. Whether you were involved or a friend or family member was injured, you know that the immediate effects can be devastating. You may have serious injuries, and people may be worried about you. Your first reaction may be to reassure everyone that you are doing fine; however, a simple social media post can cost you in a car accident claim.

According to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA), there are more than six million car accidents every year. The average auto liability claim for property damage is around $3,200, while bodily injury claims often rise above $15,000. These unexpected expenses can cause serious consequences, especially if you’re unable to work and face significant recovery time. Your first reaction after a car accident may not be to preserve your right to recovery from those responsible; however, it should be a consideration.

Everyone has a connection to social media. Either you or someone in your family has a Facebook profile, Instagram account, or Snapchat presence. After an accident, you may be tempted to let everyone know how you are doing or vent about what actually happened. However, everything you do and say on social media, a public domain, can be discovered in a car accident claim. You should post wisely and caution others who care about you to do so as well.

Social Media Posts That Minimize Your Situation

Your immediate reaction after a car accident may be to post a comforting status on Facebook. However, that notification that “you were in an accident, but seem to be okay” can have serious repercussions on your recovery. While trying to maximize the amount of damages you can receive from an insurance company or responsible party, you need to be extremely descriptive about your pain, suffering, and actual injuries. The more pain you suffer, the more you’ll recover. Although you should not lie, you also don’t need to minimize the situation to everyone on your friends list. Insurance companies and juries will take minimization of injuries as an opportunity to pay you less money for your losses.

Pictures Showing Risky Behavior Before Your Accident

If you regularly post pictures of yourself bungee jumping or racing cars, an insurance company or jury may believe that you have suffered previous injuries that are causing your current pain instead of the accident you recently experienced. Your posts about risky driving behavior may also cause some people to question whether the other driver was really at fault in light of your previous behavior. Make sure the activities you post on social media are all legal and seem to maintain reasonable behavior for a responsible person.

Posts About Activities Post-Accident

While you are claiming severe pain and suffering, your social media posts may be contradicting you. If you have recent posts of yourself taking part in physical activities or strenuous work habits, an insurance company or jury may think you are being less than honest about your actual injuries. You should be honest about your injuries as well as your abilities post-accident. Be careful not to hype up the activities in which you are taking part just to get a few extra likes on Facebook.

Multiple Injury Posts

If you are frequently injured or have had multiple car accidents in the past, your current claim may be devalued. If you’ve posted extensively about those injuries on social media, an insurance company can discover those incidents during a lawsuit. Insurance companies will take any measures necessary to reduce their payouts, and proof of prior injuries that are contributing to your current pain and suffering will help them prove that they are not completely responsible for your damages.

Emotion-Filled Posts

A significant area of recovery during a car accident claim involves mental anguish and suffering. It can be difficult to prove how much anguish you have experienced. You must show that the car accident and your injuries have harmed you mentally and have had negative effects on your life. Social media posts that express intense emotions can prove that you are not suffering as much as you are claiming or that you are simply a dramatic person by nature. In either event, insurance companies and juries will be less likely to believe your side of the story if your social media posts are contradictory or seem over the top.

What Should You Do?

Car accident claims can be complex. You must prove economic and non=economic damages, both of which can be negatively impacted by careless social media posts. However, once you find out that a post is negatively impacting your claim, you cannot simply delete it. That constitutes destruction of evidence. Your best course of action is to live a meaningful, humble life before any accident occurs and to beef up your security as much as possible. Only friends you know well should see your posts, and do not accept any new friend requests after an accident until the claim is settled.

An experienced car accident lawyer can help guide you through the complicated legal process after a car accident. Contact Chris Thayer today to find out if any of your social media accounts may negatively affect your situation after an accident. We will review anything questionable and help you decide what steps to take next.

The Importance of Auto Insurance’s Personal Injury Protection Coverage

Posted Thursday, September 8, 2016 by Chris Thayer

In the event that you are a party in an automobile collision, your first reaction – after you catch your breath and calm down – is evaluating the damages and considering your car insurance coverage. Whether your injuries are mild or severe, or the collision involved extreme property damage or injury, the accident will likely compel a claim for damages. Personal injury protection (PIP) is a vital and often times, necessary extension of your car insurance.

No-Fault Insurance States

Rather than filing a claim against the other driver’s insurance company, each company compensates their own policyholder – regardless of who holds liability for the collision. States that implement this type of insurance include Florida, New York, New Jersey, Michigan, Minnesota and Massachusetts. This system serves to eliminate injury liability claims and forces the driver to seek compensation for financial losses directly through their own insurance company. With the hope of potentially lowering litigation costs, No-Fault Insurance is designed to prevent those injured in a car accident from making a claim for personal injury damages.

There are, of course, some exceptions to this rule, depending on the jurisdiction in which you reside. For example, in the state of New York, if a plaintiff in a personal injury action arising out of negligence establishes that their economic loss exceeds $50,000 and/or the plaintiff suffered a “serious injury,” the no-fault insurance law will not prohibit them from filing a claim for damages against the other driver. Serious injury is defined as the following:

DeathDismembermentFractureLoss of a fetusPermanent loss of use or a body organ, member, function or systemPermanent consequential limitation of a body organ or memberSignificant limitation of use of a body function or systemMedically determined injury or impairment of a non-permanent nature which prevents the injured person from performing substantially all of the material acts which constitute such person’s usual and customary daily activities for not less than 90 days during the 180 days immediately following the occurrence of the injury or impairment.

Fault-Based Insurance States

In assessing the importance of PIP, it’s critical to understand the distinction between fault and no fault states. Most states have adopted what is referred to as the fault-based system with regard to negligence while operating or using a motor vehicle. In fault-based states, where traditional liability insurance is implemented, the driver who is at fault for the accident is required to pay for any injuries or damages to the other driver. Traditional liability insurances require their drivers to carry a minimum amount of liability insurance on their automobile insurance policies. For example, in Washington, a fault-based state, to fulfill the mandatory insurance law, a driver’s insurance policy is required to have the following minimum qualifications:

25,000 for injuries or death, per person50,000 for injuries or death, per accident10,000 for property damageIn contrast to a no-fault based system, such as New York, to fulfill the mandatory insurance law, a driver must possess all of the above referenced qualifications but the state additionally mandates that you hold a minimum of $50,000 “no-fault” coverage, also noted as PIP – personal injury protection.

What is Personal Injury Protection?

Personal injury protection, an extension to your mandatory automobile insurance, is used as a supplemental coverage on top of your basic liability, sometimes mandated by the jurisdiction and other times voluntarily implemented by the insurer. PIP covers medical expenses, lost wages due to injury, funeral expenses, etc., regardless of who was at fault. An insurer makes a personal injury protection claim against his or her own insurance company for payment of financial losses as a result of the automobile accident.

If It’s Not Required by My State, Do I Need Personal Injury Protection?

A commonly asked question for those residing in both no-fault and fault-based insurance states. The disheartening reality is that car accidents happen more often than not. These accidents sometimes result in severe property damage and great bodily harm.

PIP insurance is mandated in 13 states across the nation, including Florida, North Dakota, Pennsylvania, Minnesota and the District of Columbia. States in which PIP coverage is optional includes, but is not limited to, Washington, West Virginia, California, Arizona, Ohio, Rhode Island and South Carolina.

Personal Injury Protection serves as a safeguard, in the event you are involved in an accident. It does more than to just cover your medical expenses, some of which may not be covered by your health insurance. PIP covers a vast amount of crash-related expenses, including property damage, funeral expenses, rehabilitation costs, medical expenses, lost wages due to an injury, childcare costs, and costs related to household and other collateral damage. For example, if you are severely injured in a car accident and cannot maintain your household chores or duties, PIP may cover the costs associated with hiring someone to do it for you. Furthermore, PIP insurance removes the question of liability and each driver’s insurance policy pays for damages based on the regularity and severity of your car damages, not based solely on your percentage of negligence.

Without personal injury protection, you may take a major financial loss if you are involved and/or injured in an automobile accident. Most importantly, PIP adds extra protection to crash-related expenses and, unlike traditional liability coverage, compensates for lost wages and protects children that may be injured or require additional care. PIP provides an added value to your insurance coverage.

If you were involved in a motor vehicle accident and wish to make a claim against your PIP carrier, or if you do not have PIP, consult a knowledgeable motor vehicle accident attorney with Chris Thayer by calling (206) 900-8209.

Ways To Resolve Personal Injury Claims

Posted Friday, August 26, 2016 by Chris Thayer

If you are injured and file a personal injury claim, the chance is that the issue of resolving your claim will come up quickly. Insurance adjustors and defense attorneys are often anxious to put your case behind them and will set forth several theories to limit your monetary recovery and to convince you to settle your case. It is often difficult to put a monetary value on our injuries and to know whether to accept an offer or continue to negotiate. When you are injured in an accident, you have several avenues available to resolve your personal injury case. This is an overview of the options to resolve your personal injury claim and what you can reasonably expect from these processes.

You Can Settle Your Case

You always have the option of settling your claim during your case. All settlements are voluntary. A settlement can be reached from the time of your injury to during the middle of a trial. These are some of the ways in which settlement comes about.

You receive an offer from an opposing party (wrongdoer) before or after your claim is filed. This can be, for example, if the opposing party calls you and make an offer or you receive an offer from the opposing party’s attorney. If the opposing party makes you an offer soon after your injury, be sure to get a professional opinion of the value of your claim so that you do not forfeit any viable claims or accept less money than you have a legal right to.The insurance company makes you an offer after you file your claim. This usually comes after the insurance company investigates your case and comes up with a dollar value for your claim. Insurance companies do offer favorable settlements in some situations because they figure that it would be more expensive to litigate the case than settle it. Be sure to consult with an attorney before agreeing to any settlement offer. Insurance and claims adjustors are often out to get a cut rate deal if they can and do not have the authorization to offer you more money whereas an attorney for an insurance company may be in a better position to offer you a more favorable settlement that you deserve.The opposing parties negotiate independently or through their attorneys and come to a settlement. This usually occurs after a claim is filed. Each party conducts an investigation or analysis of the facts and value of your claim. The parties then negotiate for an agreed monetary amount with the assistance of their attorneys.Settlement negotiations usually require some give and take by both parties. For both parties to reach a successful settlement, both parties usually have to give something up while there is always the possibility that they would have done better in trial. A settlement essentially trades the uncertainty inherent within a trial for a set amount of money and the coinciding terms of settlement. It is highly recommended that you have a professional opinion as to the realistic value of your case before you agree to any settlement.

You Can Go To Mediation

Mediation is part of the formal court alternative dispute resolution process and has gained increasing popularity as a more compassionate, less stressful means of resolving disputes. The parties meet in an informal setting, such as a neutral law office or in a meeting room located within the courthouse. The parties then, with the assistance of a mediator, negotiate with their attorneys to work out a settlement as to some of all of the issues. A mediator is a neutral third party, usually an attorney or retired judge, who listens to each party’s version of events along with the party’s expectations and then attempts to assist the parties to reach a compromise. Even if the parties cannot reach a complete settlement, it is possible that the parties can work out some of their issues at mediation.

A mediator plays a key role in settlement negotiations. The mediator serves as a facilitator for settlement negotiations, and has the responsibility of giving each party their evaluation of their case, its value, and their likelihood of success as trial. A mediator has no independent authority to make orders or to otherwise compel a party to settle a case. However, mediators can often be very effective in spearheading negotiations and settlements.

You May Decide To Attend Arbitration

Arbitration is a mini trial of sorts. Essentially, the parties agree to have a private trier of fact, often a retired judge but may be a neutral attorney, preside over their matter and make a determination as to which party shall prevail or win their case. Despite the informalities of an arbitration (it usually takes place in offices instead of courtrooms), arbitration still has the same formalities as any trial. The parties are expected to present actual evidence, abide by the rules of procedure and evidence, present trial briefs and witnesses, and to present their case as they would in a court of law. Some of the advantages of arbitration are that it often gets done faster than a trial, there is no distraction of a jury, the parties have more control over the trier of fact (that is, they can choose their arbitrator instead of a luck of the draw assigned courthouse judge), and arbitration can readily be rescheduled if necessary. Despite the additional expense of a privately compensated arbitrator, arbitrations have steadily risen as a choice for litigants in the dispute resolution process.

When All Else Fails, You Can Go To Trial

Trial is one of the more glamorous but least understood procedures in the legal system. Essentially, you present your evidence and your case to the trier of fact and they decide which party wins and the value of their case. There are two types of trials.

A jury trial. A jury, a sworn body of I.S. citizens at least 18 years old, is selected by the parties and the jury decides the issues of liability and the value of your case. The jurors are the trier of fact while the judge handles any issues related to the law.A bench trial. The trier of fact, a judge or commissioner, decides which party is liable and the value of your case.Trials tend to be one of the more time consuming and expensive legal procedures but they can be well worth it for a favorable verdict.

The facts of your case and the surrounding circumstances will influence how your personal injury claim will be resolved. To learn more about your options to resolve personal injury claims, contact Chris Thayer at (206) 966-4785.

What You Can Do To Help Prepare Your Personal Injury Case For Trial

Posted Monday, August 8, 2016 by Chris Thayer

Most people are familiar with a trial. However, most personal injury cases are resolved prior to trial. The purpose of this article is to provide some insight into how a personal injury case comes about, what to expect, and how to prepare for a trial.

**Consult An Attorney Before Signing Anything

After sustaining injuries in an accident caused by someone else’s negligence, consult an experienced Seattle trial attorney prior to speaking to the insurance company. Do not agree to or sign anything with the insurance company, who usually offer low-ball settlements. The doctors and nurses will ask questions about the injury so they can provide medical treatment. Answer their questions so they can help you, but do not elaborate on how the incident occurred.

**Understanding Your Facts

The attorney will want to know the facts of the case. Take photographs of the accident. This will help preserve the evidence and provide your attorney with some insight as to the damages. Write down as much as you can remember concerning the incident. Write down the date, time, and names of any witnesses when the incident occurred. If there is a police report or incident report, obtain a copy of the report. If you believe that the accident was video recorded, whether from a traffic camera, from witnesses cellphones, or surveillance cameras, let your attorney know so that he or she can take steps to obtain a copy and demand preservation of the original film.

Also, prepare a description of your injuries. Take photographs of your injuries soon after you sustain them. Since injuries heal, such as bruising, by taking photographs, you are preserving the evidence supporting the severity of the injuries you sustained. Bring any medical records and bills that you have at your disposal. Anticipated future medical expenses are among the expenses that will also need to be calculated.

Do not exaggerate the extent of your injuries, or the facts of the case. For example, if you were involved in an automobile accident, tell the attorney if you were going 65 miles per hour in a 55 miles per hour zone. This will come out at some point so it would be better to get it out at first so your attorney can accurately assess the case and provide you with the proper advice.

After your attorney has the facts of the case, the next step is to determine your losses. Keep a journal and any evidence detailing any medical expenses and medical problems. For example, if you suffered a back injury in an automobile accident your life could be changed for an extended period of time. Simple tasks like mowing the lawn may become too difficult. If you needed to hire services to help you maintain your home or assist you with childcare because your injuries prevents you from performing these tasks, you should retain any documents supporting your use of these services. If you have missed work, bring evidence of your lost income, such as your pay stubs or W-2 form. Your attorney is the best person to advise you on what financial recovery to expect.

Your attorney will probably not file an action until you have been released from the doctors’ care, unless you have long term care.

**The Word Is Mum, Except With Your Attorney

Do not talk with your family, friends or anyone else about the accident or your injuries, except in response to medical questions for treatment of your injuries. If an insurance claims adjuster calls you, give them the name and telephone number of your attorney. What you tell other people can be admissible in a trial. Also, what you say can be taken out of context and used against you.

If you suffered a physical injury and have a long-term disability, assume the opposing side has a private investigator watching you. Make sure you follow the doctor’s recommendations. Defense attorneys have been known to hire private investigators to video record or photograph you performing tasks that may be contrary to what the doctor orders. This means you should not pick up a gallon of milk if you are not supposed to pick up anything heavier than ten pounds.

Refrain from posting pictures on social media that could be used against you, such as images of you skiing despite your complaint of a back injury. Request your friends and family to refrain from posting such photographs, even if the images were taken prior to the accident. These photographs can still be used against you, even if unsuccessfully.

What you say to your attorney is protected by attorney-client privilege. Your attorney cannot be required to tell other people what you tell him or her unless you give the attorney permission. It is important to be honest with your attorney, even if the information you provide can seemingly hurt you. This way your attorney can bring the information out in a positive light rather than waiting for the defense attorney revealing the information and hurting your case.

**Negotiating Settlement

Often the case can be resolved through negotiations between your attorney and the opposing side. Before meaningful negotiations occur, both parties want to know two things: the extent of your injuries and the facts of the case. This is also the time to start putting a hard dollar number on your case. The value of your case will be a blend of your damages and your chances to win at trial.

Although depositions generally occur after litigation has been filed, in some cases, the insurance adjuster may request to depose you regarding the accident and your injuries. At a deposition, an attorney from the opposing side will ask you questions. You will be under oath and your answers will be recorded. If you are requested to attend a deposition, your attorney should be present to protect your rights. Listen to the questions that are asked. Answer only the question that is asked, do not elaborate.

If informal negotiations between your attorney and the opposing side do not yield results, the next step is to file a lawsuit.

If informal negotiations do not work, you will probably go to formal mediation. Your attorney will be present. Mediation is an attempt to resolve the matter before trial with the assistance of an independent third party, called a mediator. Courts usually have a backlog of cases so everyone has an interest in resolving the case.

**When Negotiations Fail

In the uncommon case where negotiation for settlement is unsuccessful, the next step is trial. Seattle trial attorney Chris Thayer begins preparing for trial from the very beginning of a personal injury case to ensure that he can present a strong, persuasive case.

Proving Your Product Liability Claim | Chris Thayer

Posted Thursday, July 28, 2016 by Chris Thayer

When you buy a product, you have a reasonable expectation that it is reasonably safe for its intended use. This is not always the case. Periodically, consumers buy products that are defective or contain defective parts. When that product does not function properly, injuries can occur. If you are injured as a result of a dangerous or defective product, you may have a right to monetary recovery. A Seattle product liability attorney understands that your injuries resulting from an accident could have been caused by a multitude of factors, and not just from one person’s negligence but also from a defect that existed in the product you were using.

**Types of Product Liability

These are some of the ways in which a products liability claim can come about.

  • A manufacturing defect. This is the kind of defect that relates only to the specific product sold to you. For example, something went wrong when the product was being made, and the defect only affected that product or a few products. An example would be a tire or a medical device that was improperly made.
  • A design defect. This refers to something inherently dangerous in the design of the entire product line that makes every product sold unreasonably dangerous for the intended use. An example would be a vehicle part or an electronic device either of which has a design flaw that makes the product unsafe or hazardous.
  • The defendant fails to warn the purchaser or the consumer about the less than obvious risks posed by the product. As an example, the defendant sells an over-the-counter medication and fails to warn the consumer about potential health risks or to give instructions as to the proper dosage.

**Who May Be Liable For A Defective Product

Essentially, any party in the chain of the design, production, distribution and sale of the defective product is a potential defendant. This is particularly true in strict liability claim. The list of potential defendants includes the following parties:

  • The manufacturer. These are the most obvious defendants since they created the product.
  • The distributor. These are the parties who are responsible for actually putting the product on the market.
  • The retailer. These are the defendants who actually sell you the product.Theories Of Law To File A Product Liability Claim

If you are injured as a result of a dangerous or a defective product, you may have several legal theories available to sue upon. You do not have to guess or choose the best one at the beginning of your case. These are the legal theories a Seattle product liability attorney would consider

**Strict liability

In order to prevail on a strict liability claim, you do not have to prove that the defendant did anything wrong. You need only prove that:

  • The product was sold in an unreasonably dangerous condition or with an inadequate or no warning regarding the dangers inherent to the product;
  • The seller expected and intended that the product would reach the consumer without changes to the product; and
  • You or your property was injured by the defective product.

Once all three elements are proven, the defendant has the burden to avail itself of liability. One way is to prove that the defendant did not cause the injury and/or another defendant is liable for the defect causing injury. For example, if a manufacturing company placed a vehicle tire on the market and knew that tire was not suitable for highway driving and the tire exploded on the your car, then the defendant manufacturer would be liable. You can reasonably expect to recover the full array of damages which includes actual and future medical costs, lost wages and earning capacity, and pain and suffering. However, if the accident was caused by a driver who ran a red light and the defective tire did not explode or contribute to the accident or your injuries, then the manufacturing company would not be held liable for your injuries.


Negligence, to some extent, has been replaced by strict liability since strict liability is easier to prove. To prove a negligence claim, you must establish that:

  • The defendant owed you a duty of care (i.e., making or selling a product that is free from defects or undisclosed risks);
  • The defendant breached that duty of care to you;
  • You were injured as a result of the defendant’s negligence; and
  • You suffered actual injuries.

Using the same tire example, if the defendant manufacturer placed a tire that it knew was unsafe on the market, then you would have a strong negligence claim against the manufacturer. If you succeed in your claim, then you can expect to recover the full array of damages.

**Breach of warranty

To prevail based on breach of warranty, you must prove that:

  • An express or implied warranty applied to the product; and
  • The product did not meet the terms of the warranty.

Using the same vehicle tire example, the manufacturer puts the tire on the market knowing that it is not up to safety standards for highway driving and the vehicle tire comes with a warranty. You would also have a strong case for breach of warranty. However, damages would be limited to what are referred to as concrete damages that would include, for example, property damages and medical bills.


To succeed in a fraud claim, you must prove that the defendant

  • Made representations to you that the defendant knew were untrue in an intent to get you to purchase a product; and,
  • You justifiably relied upon the defendant’s representations and were injured as a result.

For example, you purchased the defective tire from the distributor, who has knowledge that the tire may be unsafe. During the sale, the defendant distributor (seller) repeatedly tells you that the tire is suitable for all purposes and issues you a guarantee. In reliance upon defendant’s representations, you purchased the tire, the tire explodes while you are driving and you are injured. You would likely have a strong case against the distributor based on fraud and can reasonably expect to recover all damages available in a personal injury case as well as punitive damages.