Seattle Personal Injury Attorney Chris Thayer
Seattle Personal Injury Attorney Chris Thayer
Handling Personal Injury Claims in the Seattle Area and Throughout Washington Since 1995

My name is Chris Thayer and I am a personal injury attorney practicing in downtown Seattle. I handle personal injury, medical malpractice and wrongful death claims throughout the greater Seattle area, including Issaquah, Mercer Island and Kirkland.

I am here to help you.

Call for a free consultation (206) 340-2008

Commonly Asked Questions About Reporting a Car Accident in Washington

Posted Friday, August 2, 2019 by Chris Thayer

Alternative TextBeing involved in a car accident can be traumatic. Not only was your day interrupted by an unexpected accident, but you are left dealing with the aftermath that could include serious injuries and property damage. The moments after a car crash can feel overwhelming, but it is important to be aware of what needs to be done in order to ensure your future success in pursuing compensation for your injuries.

If you have been involved in a car accident in Washington, there are a variety of tasks that must be completed immediately afterward. If the proper protocols and procedures are followed, you are in better shape than others to recoup damages sustained through a personal injury suit.

Reporting the Crash

It is imperative that a report be made of the car accident. In many situations, law enforcement will be called to the scene of the accident, investigate the site, and make a report of their preliminary findings. In these instances, it is not necessary for either party involved in the accident to make an independent report. However, if the police are not present at the scene of the accident, you must report the accident to the proper authorities. Each party to the accident must make a report of the accident. You only have a four-day window to file this accident report. Reports are available at your local sheriff office or police station.

*Driving Records*Each party’s driving history will be reported on in the accident. This information is not used to determine who is at fault for the accident. The Washington State Department of Licensing attacheds relevant records to accident reports. Usually, these records refer to when a driver was involved in an accident in which serious injuries were sustained.

*Damages*After an accident, most people are concerned with recouping the damages that they have suffered as a result of another driver’s negligence. The state of Washington has specific auto insurance requirements for drivers, but not everyone has insurance. If the other driver in the accident does not have insurance, there are other avenues that victims can take to recover damages, such as making a claim to the Department of Licensing.

Another option to recover damages is to seek compensation through a personal injury suit. In a personal injury suit, a claimant can recover damages that were caused because of the other driver’s negligence. If you are interested in pursuing a personal injury suit, it is best to contact a personal injury attorney to handle your claim.

The personal injury attorneys at Pivotal Law Group are here to help you following a car accident. We know it can be overwhelming to deal with the aftermath of a car accident, and we want to take away some of those overwhelming feelings by guiding you through the personal injury claim procedure. The damages that can be incurred from a car accident can be substantial. We want to help you recover the damages appropriate under the circumstances so that you can recover as quickly as possible. Contact us today for a consultation.

(image courtesy of Lucas Quintana)