Seattle Personal Injury Attorney Chris Thayer
Seattle Personal Injury Attorney Chris Thayer
Handling Personal Injury Claims in the Seattle Area and Throughout Washington Since 1995

My name is Chris Thayer and I am a personal injury attorney practicing in downtown Seattle. I handle personal injury, medical malpractice and wrongful death claims throughout the greater Seattle area, including Issaquah, Mercer Island and Kirkland.

I am here to help you.

Call for a free consultation (206) 340-2008

Suing a Government Agency for Injuries in Issaquah

Posted Friday, May 6, 2022 by Chris Thayer

When you get into a crash with another driver in Issaquah, the process is relatively straightforward. Since Washington is an at-fault state, you would get in touch with an attorney and sue the negligent driver who caused your crash. What happens if your accident was caused by a government agency rather than another driver like you? This can complicate matters considerably, and you need to approach this situation carefully, and with some help.

The best way to do this is by getting in touch with an experienced personal injury attorney in Issaquah. With our help, you can strive for a settlement for everything you have been forced to endure. Although suing the government is not easy, the various hurdles can be overcome with the right legal assistance. Once you receive a settlement, you can pay off medical expenses, lost wages, and many other damages.

*An Example of an Injury Involving a Government Agency*On April 15th of 2022, it was reported that a woman had been killed after a collision with a Department of Transportation trailer. The individual apparently drifted onto the shoulder while driving on Interstate 90. Before she could react, her car impacted a WSDOT work trailer. The woman was instantly killed in the collision. WSDOT workers witnessed the incident while working on the shoulder, although no one else was harmed.

*When Can I Sue a Government for a Car Crash?*The most obvious example of a government-related auto accident lawsuit is when your car is hit by a vehicle operated by a government agency. This might be a police vehicle, an ambulance, a fire truck, a postal truck, or any other vehicle that fits under that general category.

You might also have the ability to sue if you can prove your accident was caused by unsafe, improperly maintained, or confusing roads. For example, a road filled with massive potholes may have caused you to lose control and hit a tree. Or perhaps a confusing sign directed you into incoming traffic.

*Issues Related to Suing Government Agencies*As previously alluded to, the process of suing a government agency for injuries is slightly more complex compared to a typical lawsuit between two normal drivers. In order to move forward with your lawsuit, you must first file a claim with the Washington State Office of Risk Management – otherwise known simply as the “ORC.” You then must wait 60 days before filing a lawsuit. During this 60–day period, the government will investigate the matter, most likely offering you a settlement for your damages.

*Enlist the Help of a Qualified Attorney Today*If you have been searching the Issaquah area for a personal injury attorney, look no further than Pivotal Law Group. Over the years, we have helped numerous injured plaintiffs in Washington, and we know that auto accidents can cause life-changing, devastating injuries. With our assistance, you can strive for a fair, adequate settlement that covers medical expenses, missed wages, and a range of economic damages. Book your consultation today to get started on an effective action plan.